You have completed the novel and now the publisher has asked you to come up with a revised cover for the novel for a new edition they are printing next year.
They want a cover that will appeal to young people for high school study and they need your help.
- One (possibly more) dominant image (they must be copyright friendly or copyright free) You can also draw (or take a photo) of your own image which you can import to the layout software you will use. Consider an image that captures on of the major themes of the novel.
- The author's name
- The name of the book
- Your name in small print in the bottom left hand corner: Cover design by (your name)
- In designing your cover, consider what important events happen in the novel and what themes were explored. What image(s) could possibly help represent or symbolize one or more of those events and themes. The themes we explored were: Dystopia Society, Survival (and Alliances) and Violence in Reality Television.
- Remember, your images have to be copyright friendly or copyright free. If you are not sure how to find images that are copyright friendly or copyright free, check with another student or your teacher. Make sure to indicate to your teacher where you got the image and save the direct link to the image. This is a good site to use to search for images for class assignments.
- You can use the two novel covers of the book that we have in class as examples and as a guide.
- You will use the software, Canva to complete the design. Click here to access Canva and create an account, sign up with your Google account.
- There is an example that you can look at that was completed in Canva. Click here to see an example for the assignment.
- When you have completed your book cover in Canva, show it to some other students for feedback, then make final revisions.
- Let your teacher know when the book cover is complete, and make sure you share it for final assessment.
- Click here and complete the online response activity arguing why you think your book cover should be the one the book publisher selects.